in West Des Moines, Urbandale and Throughout Iowa
Insurance benefits help protect you against the numerous risks and liabilities present in all parts of your life. Here at McCartan Insurance Group, we strive to provide every client with customized policies to provide optimized protection.
Perhaps in no other part of life do you face as many safety risks as you do while driving. Cars are expensive and accidents can lead to costly repair bills, medical costs and liability lawsuits. We help you get a customized auto policy to help minimize losses from any unexpected incident.
Common Auto Insurance Questions:
What Does Auto Insurance Cover?
Car insurance provides financial protection to help drivers impacted by wrecks and other vehicle hazards recover from their losses. After a covered accident or incident, you can file a claim on your auto policy for the value of your losses. If your policy covers the loss, your insurer pays you a settlement to assist you with the recovery costs.
How Much Auto Insurance Do I Need?
Auto insurance policies are incredibly diverse, and you’ll receive the best protection when you customize your plan to your advantage.
Some of the coverage that you will likely need includes:
- Liability Insurance: This coverage helps pay for the damage you do to others (such as other drivers) who weren’t in the car with you.
- Bodily injury liability coverage helps pay for third-party medical bills.
- Property damage liability coverage helps pay for damage to the other party’s property.
- Collision Insurance helps cover damage to your vehicle sustained in a covered accident.
- Comprehensive insurance helps pay for damage from non-accident mishaps, such as weather damage, fires, theft or vandalism.
- Medical payments coverage helps pay for your medical bills and may also cover other accident-related losses.
- Uninsured/Underinsured motorist insurance helps cover damage caused by a driver who doesn’t have appropriate liability coverage.
You can further customize your policy with benefits like:
- Roadside assistance
- Rental car reimbursement
- Custom parts coverage
- Replacement cost vehicle coverage
- Vanishing deductibles
- Gap insurance
What Auto Insurance is Required by Law?
By law, all Iowa drivers are required to carry certain minimum liability coverage limits, including bodily injury and property damage. Talk with your agent to make sure your policy meets Iowa’s minimum limits.
Depending on your unique situation, we may recommend that you purchase more than the minimum amount of liability coverage.
How Does Car Insurance Cover a New Teen Driver?
You can purchase a stand-alone policy through a separate insurer or add a teen to your current auto insurance policy. Your agent can help you decide which option may produce the lowest premiums without sacrificing coverage.
Depending on what car your teen drives, a liability only policy may be the right choice. If your teen will drive the family car or share a car with another family member, they may need full coverage insurance.
Insuring a new driver can seem expensive. Your agent can help you find discounts to help reduce premiums. Many insurers offer discounts for teens with good grades. If you are adding a car to your policy, a multi-car discount can provide additional cost savings.
When Should I Get Auto Insurance?
No driver is exempt from Iowa’s mandatory auto insurance laws. You must have coverage in place as soon as you become a licensed driver. You might be able to receive coverage through:
- A stand-alone auto policy
- A multi-car insurance policy, which is a benefit for families who have multiple drivers and vehicles to insure
- A non-owner liability plan that will offer you liability insurance even if you do not own a vehicle
If you finance your car, your lien holder requires collision and comprehensive insurance. They may also require that you purchase GAP coverage.
Auto insurance provides essential protection. Safe drivers may be eligible for more favorable insurance premiums and coverage choices.
How to Get Auto Insurance
McCartan Insurance Group is committed to helping you find a policy to fit your specific needs. Reach out to us today to start the conversation or to get a quote.