Personal auto insurance can provide financial assistance after an accident or other covered event involving your vehicle. In order to receive that compensation, you need to work through the claims process.
While it may seem complicated, the team at McCartan Insurance Group Inc. in West Des Moines, IA, can help you through the steps. Reach out to us for more information.
5 Steps to Filing an Auto Insurance Claim
Specific procedures vary by insurer, but the following provides a general overview of steps to take when filing a personal auto insurance claim.
- Gather necessary information. You want to make sure you have the necessary details and documentation regarding the event involving your automobile. The date and location of the incident, as well as a description or pictures of the damage, are crucial. If you were involved in an accident, having the contact information of the involved parties and witnesses and a copy of the police report may also be helpful.
- Contact your insurance agent. Your insurance agent can guide you on how to proceed with a claim. They can help explain if your policy may cover the loss, how much it may cover, if the claim will affect your premiums and how to proceed with next steps. They can also let you know if your policy will cover rental car expenses while your car is out of service.
- Hear from the adjuster. If you move forward with filing a claim and submit the necessary paperwork, an adjuster assigned by your insurance company may contact you for more information. The adjuster may inspect your vehicle or request that you take it to a certified mechanic for an estimate on repair costs.
- Receive the decision. After the adjuster’s investigation, your insurer will determine if your car can be repaired or if it is totaled. Your insurer will also approve or deny your claim and provide details on the amount of compensation you will receive. The coverages and limits in your policy will factor into this calculation. Make sure to note the appeals process if you disagree with this outcome.
- Repair or replace your vehicle. If your car can be fixed, you can take it in to be repaired. Your insurer may provide the payments to you or to pay the shop directly. If your car is totaled, meaning it will cost more to fix than replace it, you can apply the settlement amount toward purchasing a new vehicle.
Since insurers have different requirements, additional or other steps may be necessary. It is essential to work with your insurance agent to help ensure you are following the claims process applicable to your situation.
Contact Us for More Information
The experienced agents at McCartan Insurance Group can help you through the personal auto insurance claims process. Contact us today for details.
This blog is intended for informational and educational use only. It is not exhaustive and should not be construed as legal advice. Please contact your insurance professional for further information.